Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Presidio: Old Army Post Boasts Culinary Gem

Tucked inside the historic Presidio is Pres a Vi, an impressively spacious wine bar that offers an eclectic menu of small and big plates. Loosely translated in Catalan, "pres a vi" means "captivated by wine." And captivated they are, with over 300 wines and 16 flights on the menu. Chef Kelly Degala, a native of Hawaii, creates globally inspired food that pairs well with their vino. His Yellow Tail Peruvian 'Teradito' ($15) is a delectably refreshing combination of sushi grade yellow tail, red jalapeno, anju pepper aioli, blood orange oil and micro cilantro. Every time I go, I hoard the dish to myself. I recently discovered that they took the teradito off the lunch menu so you can only get it at dinner - oh the horror! My husband and I enjoy the Duck Buns ($13) - pillowy soft steamed buns filled with savory goodness. Hubby also digs the Rock Shrimp-Avocado 'Lumpia'($12), those crispy little Filipino summer rolls with ponzu and wasabi-orange cream. There is the 8 oz. Wagyu Beef Cheeseburger ($15) made with apple-wood smoked bacon, tomato aioli, and mezzo secco cheese on a brioche roll. While I found it a tad dry, it was tasty nonetheless, and worth another try down the road. Servers there are friendly, knowledgeable, and conscientious about pacing when you order multiple dishes. That's a good thing since my main complaint about this place is that their tables are too small. Located on the Letterman Digital Arts Center campus, this elegant but casual eatery has a heated patio and private dining options. They are open for lunch, dinner and brunch, and are closed on Mondays. It is definitely worth a trip to the scenic Presidio! I want to check out its sister spot, Va de Vi, in Walnut Creek - maybe I'll go the next time I book a hair appt. with Dawn at DiPietro Todd...On the grubalicious meter, this place gets two and a half lip smacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment