Monday, May 25, 2009

Chapeau! - once is enough

I had high expectations about this place since so many people have raved about it, but unfortunately, our dinner experience was less than impressive. I know Michael Bauer eats at a restaurant three times before he writes a review, and my hat goes off to him since in instances like this, I have absolutely no desire to return a second or third time. They pack so many people into such tight quarters, I don't understand how it can be enjoyable.

My husband dropped me off while he looked for parking, and despite being seated promptly between a couple of two-tops within a short handshake distance from me, all of the waitstaff proceeded to ignore me. There I sat, for nearly 10 minutes, without anyone acknowledging my presence. No one offered me a glass of water or a menu while I waited. It wasn't until my husband walked in and joined me that I suddenly became visible.

Then, when we did order, the server had to shout in order for my husband to hear him across our tiny table. The din was so loud that the server bellowed deafeningly over my right shoulder. Later, I asked the server to switch to my other side and I plugged my good ear while he talked. I kid you not. And, as another server cleared a dirty plate from a neighboring table and turned around, he clipped my husband in the head!

The food was good, but was lost amidst the hot, noisy, claustrophobic bustle.

I know they recently took over Clementine, one of our favorite spots on Clement Street, but I've been wary to return, for fear that they have doubled the seating to replicate the Chapeau! experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment