Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oyaji - sushi and izakaya style fare in the Outer Richmond







There's a little gem tucked across the street from the Lincoln Park Golf Course on Clement Street that serves good izakaya style dishes and sushi. I like the hot towels they pass out when you sit down, and enjoy eating in their cozy, semi-private booths. They have a killer crab and cucumber salad (kani su), delicious skewered chicken meatballs (tsukune) and great nigiri. My son loves the shrimp tempura as well as the Oyaji beef which is grilled rib eye with sauteed onions and Oyaji sauce served on a sizzling platter. It's not on the menu, but my daughter usually starts with a takuwan roll. She enoys the skewered duck (aigamo), too.

We've happily devoured the fried whole flounder (karei karaage), eyeballs and all. Cabbage rolls, stewed pork belly (butano-kakuni), and steamed clams in sake (asari no sakamushi) are pretty tasty, too. I always have saba sashimi, it's my favorite.

Last night, we tried skewered chicken gizzard (sunagimo) which, all I can say is, truly an acquired taste. The crunchy texture totally threw us off. I can't say that I'll be ordering that again anytime soon. We also sampled sautéed squid in butter and soy sauce (ika sauté) which my husband devoured - I got one little bite. The cha-shu ramen had great chewy noodles and tons of tender pork but was a little salty.

Oyaji always seems to be bustling, even on a weekday night. Last night, there were a mix of locals and Japanese people in business attire. Take a look at the photos of all the food we ate. Our bill came to a respectable $66.80 - it also includes tea and a soda.


For more info: Oyaji Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment